Overview of Map Builder¶
Map Builder is a tool to create maps. Map Builder’s maps are more advanced than those simply created within the Map tab of a published dataset because you can overlay as many datasets as you want in the same map, creating different data layers. This specificity thus makes these maps great for enriching your data by crossing them together. You can also group your layers and edit their descriptions and titles in order to obtain and share a map finely designed to meet specific needs and purposes.
Map Builder has 2 modes:
- Edition, to create and configure your map to define what it will look like to the final map viewers
- Preview, to see what your map looks like to the final map viewers
Map Builder, in Edition mode, is also split into 3 parts:
- the layer editing area
- the Map Builder menu
- the interactive, multi-layered map
Overview of the layer editing area of Map Builder¶
The layer editing area is located on the right-hand side of your page, right next to the map. Through this part of Map Builder, you can create a multiple layers map.
If you haven’t started creating your map, you will only see a link, Add a dataset to this map, to add your first dataset and thus start the creation of your first map. Afterward, this section will display:
- all your added datasets
- Edit, a link to access the visualization configuration options of the related dataset
- Add a dataset to this map, a link to add a new dataset to your map